DL Transfers from Out of State
Welcome to Florida. A move to another state can be stressful with having to transfer all of your records from one state to another. Please see below for a detailed checklist to ease your stress with this transfer.
Items needed to obtain a Florida Driver License
Current Driver License
Florida is unable to reciprocate a motorcycle endorsement from Alabama.
Proof of Legal status – 1 of the following:
Name Change Verification document (if applicable)
- Certified U.S. Birth Certificate, which includes states, territories, or District of Columbia (A certificate of Live Birth or Hospital Record of Birth is not acceptable)
- Valid U.S. Passport
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
Social Security Document
- Original or certified copy of all marriage certificates or court orders that show name change(s). (Uncertified photocopies are not valid)
Proof of Residential Address – 2 Proofs Needed –
- One of the following original documents for proof of your Social Security Number:
- Social Security Card
- W-2 Form from the Internal Revenue Service
- Pay stub showing Name
- Complete SSN SSA-1099 on-SSA-1099 immigrants and non-immigrants supply same proof as do U.S. citizens for Social Security Number (if issued)
examples provided below
- Rental agreement
- Utility bill, hookup, or work order not more than two months old
- Financial institutions, not more than two months old
- Medical or health card with address listed
- Statement from an accompanying parent, stepparent or guardian residing at same address as applicant
- The parent or guardian must present two proof of residential address
Need to take a road test?
You may schedule an appointment for your road test with The Tax Collector’s Office, or an approved provider for Polk County, or any of the approved providers for the State of Florida.
Click below to make an appointment with approved providers for Polk County.
Click here to make an appointment with the Tax Collector’s Office.
Click here to make an appointment with approved providers for the State of Florida.
Once you have completed your road test, your next step will be the Tax Collector’s office. The Tax Collector’s office will issue you a Class E License. Please make sure you have appropriate documentation and fees. If your license record is INVALID, you will have to resolve the issue before being issued your Driver’s License.