Dealer Service Policies
The Tax Collector’s Office is proud to conduct dealership transactions in three different ways.
1) Transactions submitted via EFS in which the work is processed at the dealership, submitted electronically, checked by the Tax Collector’s Office and submitted to DHSMV. If you are interested in learning more about this please contact Laura Gorman at 863-534-4734
or [email protected]
2) Transactions walked in to one of our four service centers.
3) Transactions dropped off at one of our four service centers.
Due to the significant increase in customer volume and budget constraints, the Tax Collector’s Office is implementing the following policies to ensure all customers (dealer and non-dealer) are served as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Polk County Dealerships
- Prior to a ticket being issued, dealership location will be verified at check-in to ensure that your location is in Polk County.
- Polk County Dealers are allowed to walk in up to three transactions on one ticket from the hours of 8:30 am – 11:00 am and 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm.
- Polk County Dealers are allowed to walk in one transaction on one ticket during the lunch hours of 11 am – 2 pm.
- Polk County Dealers are allowed to have one ticket issued at a given time. When a ticket is completed the dealer may have another one issued.
- Multiple individuals representing one Polk County dealership are not allowed to have more than one ticket opened at the same time.
- There is no limit to the total amount of tickets that can be issued to a Polk County Dealer from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The frequency of tickets issued only varies due to the number of walk-in customers at any given time during business hours.
- Polk County Dealers are allowed to drop off deals at any point in time throughout the day from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
- There is no limit to the total amount of deals a Polk County Dealership can drop off throughout the day from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Out of County Dealerships
- The Tax Collector’s Office no longer accepts out of county automobile dealership transactions that are walked in or dropped off.
Prior to a ticket being issued, dealership location will be verified at check in. Only Polk County dealerships will be issued a ticket for service.
- Out of county dealers that can demonstrate a significant hardship must apply for an exception to this in writing for consideration by the Chief Operations Officer and the Tax Collector.
Authorized Tax Collector Partners
The Tax Collector’s Office encourages all dealerships, both in and out of county to utilize the following authorized partners for the conducting of your dealer transactions:
Winter Haven American Legion Tag Agency
300 Avenue M, Northwest,
Winter Haven Florida 33881
Dealer Tag Agency
2250 E Busch Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33612
Contact: Harlan Logan
Morningstar Fleet Services
817 N.Florida Ave.
Lakeland, FL 33801
Due to having dealerships opening and/or closing their businesses, it has become necessary for our office to implement a policy explaining how dealer payments, including ISF payments, are processed.
The following forms of payment are acceptable with an explanation to follow as a guideline.
□ Money Orders / Cashier’s Checks
Dealers may pay with a money order or a cashier’s check, regardless of the purchaser. If the transaction requires a refund, the refund must be issued to the dealer unless specified in writing on letterhead from the dealer.
Dealer Checks are acceptable for payments, must match the name on the dealer’s license (unless noted ISF) **
□ Credit Card
Must match the name on the dealer’s license. (Note: a 2.5% convenience fee is applicable)
Acceptable as normal
Must match the name on the dealer’s license.
If payment (Checks or Credit Card) has been returned to our office for insufficient funds, the Tax Collector’s office will take the following steps to obtain payment prior to making an application for a warrant and restitution:
□ Will be on a cash only basis until satisfied.
If the Dealer provides a letter from the financial institution stating it was an error on their side (Bank or Credit Card Company) the return fee will be waived. Dealers will not be held accountable for this incident.
** Dealers who use the Legion in Winter Haven may be subject to different requirements.