Written Test Appointment
You may take your written test, also referred to as a knowledge exam, on road signs and road rules, through an approved provider for the State of Florida.
Click below to visit state approved online resource for written test providers
Note: Online written tests are convenient and available 24 hours a day!
You may schedule an appointment for your written test with The Tax Collector's Office.
I understand that I am making an appointment for a Driver License transaction.
Upon checking in for my appointment, Polk County residency will be verified. The appointment expires 10 minutes after the time scheduled. The appointment will be honored only for the person whose name appears on the confirmation.
Appointments are required for all Driver License Written Tests conducted in Polk County. Out of County customers wanting to take a Driver License Written Exam must schedule a non-resident guest service ticket appointment.
Those seeking written tests are limited to one current appointment opportunity.
Appointments for Driver License Medical Road Tests must be made by contacting (863) 534-4700.
If your appointment is for a written test, please note the following:
- Before your appointment, please visit GatherGoGet
to determine the required documents for renewing or obtaining a new driver license.Also, those seeking an appointment for a Driver License Road Test should visit DL Road Test Checklist page to ensure that their car is in proper working order and print/sign Notice and Consent for Road Test Video/Audio Recording.
- If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must have held a learner's license for AT LEAST one year without any traffic convictions.
- With a Learner's License, you can only drive with a valid licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and occupies the front passenger seat at all times.
- If 18 years of age or older, you are required to take a written exam. If you also have the intention of taking a road test the same day, you must have 2 separate appointments (for the DL Written Test and the DL Road Test) with at least 1 hour in between appointments.
- In the event that you are unable to pass the DL Written Test prior to your DL Road Test appointment, you will be required to reschedule your appointment(s).
- Customers that are between the ages 14 years, six months and 17 years can take the written exam online by visiting http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/TPDLTS_providers.html. Please note that these are third party providers, and prices may vary.
- If you have any questions, please call (863) 534-4700.